View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Paul Stewart

The story I heard with Feller was that he would pay for his vacation by hitting card shows and minor league parks en route. I paid $5 to get his autograph at the LeBaron hotel in San Jose in 1991 and at a San Jose Giants game in 1996(free).

The only way I can get particular autographs in the Topps 40 years of baseball book was to go to autograph shows. That is how I got most of my HOFers. Most of those autographs shows happened pre 1996. I paid $175 to meet and get a signature of Joe DiMaggio in 1995. It was right after his Upper Deck contract ended and he hit a few show. That was crazy money to a young married guy trying to enjoy the autograph part of the hobby. In the early 90's I was able to get Mantle ($35), Aaron ($25), Mays ($22), McCovey ($17), Fr Robinson ($20), Brooks ($10) and Berra ($20). I would hate to think of what they would cost now. Aaron is $300 for a private signing.

I terms of todays stars signing, there really is no reason for them to do it as they are set financially for life. I also don't want to pay nearly $200 for the Big Unit, Pedro Martinez and some of the others I see coming to Northern California. Tom Orr does the best private signings out of the St. Louis area, but an I going to send my 10 pound book to every private signing. I don't know how well that would work.

Anyways, thanks for reading my rambling. Paul