View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Al Richter

I only collect post war with the exception of the Fleer 1923 set. I collect Topps, Fleer and Bowman set runs, and I add recognized hobby variations and recurring print defects to those sets.

Many expensive and scarce post war "variations" are in my view just unintended print defects, like the 52 Black star, the 57 Bakep, the 58 Herrer and 61 Fairly. Most such recurring print defects have no hobby recognition beyond a few sick, fixated collectors...like me

In addition to continuing to add the current Topps base sets and update sets to my run of sets, I have done all the Heritage sets in "master" form. For Heritage the hobby definition of a master set, unlike older Topps sets, does not include variations. I assume because almost all of such variations are intentional ( even though some would say the only true "variations" are cards intentionally changed by the manufacturer).

But, for Heritage I did do all the known variations through 2010. Starting in 2011 the sheer number of variations... red fish, blue fish, green fish...and the planned scarcity of some caused me to give up. Too expensive and time consuming, even for a fanatic like me.

But since I do not collect as much of the newer stuff I like to see threads in here discussing and posting pics of what is going on in the hobby today, particularly the odd stuff. And, I am utterly amazed at some of the prices being paid for scarce "chase" type cards today.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-22-2018 at 09:27 AM.