View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Curt

I think most collectors who have more than a couple decades into this hobby, and maybe even some who came as recent as the 90s boom, have seen how the card and autograph industries have turned into something completely different than what came before. I got into the autograph side of it a lot later than many, but still saw prices rise more and more out of control.

I was trying to assemble as many of the Topps all rookie team cards as I could find signed. Even with some pretty solid players, it was not too tough to find most each year. I had nearly all of them through the early 2000s, aside from a few toughies and modern absurdities ($). The likes of Jeter & Ichiro started a trend that would only get worse. Now, I rarely even see any of the newer ones signed at all as it seems other sets like Heritage and Ginter are the rage and with an onslaught of high end players getting trophies each year, I gave up.

I wouldn't mind just getting the first 40 years worth, but even that has proven near impossible. Aside from Munson, which I do not have, I still need Jeter, Ichiro and a few others that never seem to show up ever.

Hoever, read through a few threads on Blowout, especially the showoff type threads and you'll quickly see that there are plenty of folks who have no issues dropping 4 & 5 figures on shiny new stuff. I have never been in a better position to spend more money on cards then ever, but I just don't get the same thrill anymore and certainly don't see it being worth it when there is so much more to spend your money on that leads to greater enjoyment.

Here is another example that just sickens me. I try to get a signature of every new Dodger player or Dodger card. More and more I miss out because of speculators. Maybe I can come back behind in 25 years and pick up some of these guys for $1-2 like I have done with late 90s/early 00s duds!

Forgive my ignorance, but is every single Dodger prospect now a gold mine right out of the gate? Who is this guy?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&LH_Complete=1

Last edited by mrmopar; 04-30-2018 at 07:19 PM.