View Single Post
Old 06-26-2023, 07:54 PM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
As the owner of a Joe DiMaggio team index bat, I remember that article very well. Nicely written!
Thanks Jim! A lot of people learned about team index bats the hard way…..what’s even more interesting than that and I speak to it in my book, is that players in the 40s , 50s and 60s could order other players signature model bats…..

I found an Aldo Caravello game used bat back in the early 90s in an auction and I bought it - cool bat - from the 40s…my name is not very common and Aldo played in the PCL back then and never made it to the big leagues…my dad and I did a lot of research and Aldo was not directly related to us, but he couldn’t have been too far off the main trunk on the family tree..when I received the bat, I reached out to my contact at Louisville Slugger and asked her to send Aldo’s records….

Upon arrival, I found that Aldo of course had his own signature model bat just like the one I own, but he had several orders of Joe Dimaggio bats during his career with identical specs to what Dimaggio ordered in the 40s…..

So yes - there are Dimaggio bats out there in personal collections that a very, very distant relative of mine used…..and I am sure there are other players who ordered Dimaggio bats during their career as well - Aldo was a PCL player, not even a Major Leaguer….

That’s why identifying specific player attributes are so important when buying game used bats…

Last edited by JimmyC; 06-26-2023 at 08:04 PM.