View Single Post
Old 02-03-2002, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Confused about grading vs. authenticating

Posted By: Marc S.

In our hobby, though it does not always operate efficiently, I would tend to argue that it ordinarily operates in an efficient and "free market" economic system.

If cards were graded authentic, or authentic-altered, I do believe that some buyers would try to trump up the attributes of their card. But I also believe that seller will (eventually - not right away) figure it out and the sellers will learn how to price the cards appropriately.

Sure, each "authentic" card will have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. But are there really so many idiots out there that would continually purchase these cards with an advertisement like "SGC screwed me on this transaction -- it measures correctly"?! If so, should we really try to protect them? I would imagine anyone that would fall for that would get burned once (on a resubmission) and then not do it anymore.

Our market already figures in "discounts" for every level of the hobby. On graded cards, premiums are paid for well-centered 8's as opposed to o/c 8's. On graded cards, PSA and SGC cards sell for higher than BGS, BVG, CSA and ASA for a reason. On mail order, we know not to trust the grading standards of Kit Young, Steve Verkman and Festerberg. On online auctions, we don't pay Near Mint prices for cards that are described as "Near Mint besides the tack hole in the top of the card".

The people on this board have made incredible strides in policing Ebay and protecting unscrupulous sellers. However, the market tends to work fairly efficiently, for cards of all grades, years and graded v. non-graded. Most of us are (at least relatively) educated and can figure in the appropriate discounts when we bid or buy in instances where we can't personally handle the cards. If graded card companies would grade a card a "Authentic-Trimmed", I think people would figure out how to price them. Maybe not right away, but soon enough.