View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 11:32 PM

Default The Reproduction Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Any thoughts on this one? Baseball or travel? The Tiger on the label seems too coincidental, no? Was this a logo of The Reproduction Company?
It's a legit Reproduction Co. label. In fact, I can date this specific label to ca. 1914. They used it on plenty of travel/souvenir and special event pennants manufactured during the mid-1910s.

For some reason, this company, which was based in Manhattan (and later, Brooklyn) really liked tigers. Of the four labels I've found of theirs used between 1908-1921, two featured tigers: one with a full body of a tiger; the other with only the head.

Unfortunately, I believe it's just a coincidence that there's a tiger on this "Detroit" pennant's label. I'm pretty sure this is a travel/souvenir pennant. They made a lot of these for many cities and states. They mostly all looked like this "Detroit" pennant, down to the same Gothic font. Usually, these were 100% screen printed; but, some, like this "Detroit" pennant, featured sewed letters.

The Reproduction Co. did make two known professional baseball pennants; however, unlike their travel/souvenir pennants, each were undeniably baseball pennants; and, both were made closer to 1910. As you'll see, they don't resemble the "Detroit" pennant at all. Here they are below....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (83).jpg (4.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg image (3).jpg (3.8 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 08-21-2021 at 11:38 PM.