View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 12:40 AM

In Jason's article I linked, he had various theories about the English only and the French/English backs. Of the three theories put forward I like the third one the best:

French-English was produced for areas with large francophone populations (Quebec, New Brunswick) while English was produced for predominantly anglophone areas.

In my opinion this makes sense because of the placement of the French writeup on top, and the English below. This French/English version also would have likely been produced after the English version, as suggested by one of his other theories, based upon the need to translate the English text.

worldwidegum33gehrig 002 (531x640).jpg

I do like the French/English versions. On Lou's 1933 card his writeup just sounds so sophisticated and exotic in French. My favorite line is "Quel frappeur!" which is written as "What a hitter!" in the language more of us know. Also in French it sounds like a seasonal drink at Starbucks, which of course would be ordered as "I would like a Venti size Quel Frappeur with almond milk, extra whip please."

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-13-2024 at 12:42 AM.