Thread: 1960 Fleer Set
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 11:50 AM

I checked the eBay photos again on a great monitor as oppsed to my phone. If two people (one of whom has it in his possession) say felt tip, then I have reason to reassess.

Honestly, without it in hand, I'm not committing to writing implement. The J. (whose formation is extremely atypical) has that watered-down appearance which is more in tune with fountain pen ink of some sort.

Regardless of any of this, I can't stand the autograph itself. It's ridicuously slow and deliberate, among other things. It has the sluggish appearance of somebody who is looking at a genuine exemplar while simulatneously attempting to duplicate the signature. When Baker was healthy, there was no slowness. The signature was executed with pure confidence, the same as anyone who signed their name countless times. And if it was indeed signed with some type of felt tip, that's even more occasion for me to have my guard up. As noted, Baker had a narrow window where he could have signed this while still healthy. The farther back you go in the 1960's, the less likely a felt tip would have been used.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-09-2024 at 11:53 AM.