View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default The Current Lack of Baseball Card Technology

My wife and I just took our daughter to Harry Potter World. When we got back I was thumbing through some junk era stuff and stumbled across some Sportsflix cards. I remember as a kid thinking those things were magical. The late 80's also brought us holograms, which were pretty effing cool too. It got me wondering why we haven't seen any leaps and bounds in card technology. Potter World has those "moving pictures" that would translate amazingly to baseball cards. The main 3 obstacles I would see are 1)thickness, 2)power source and 3)price. From what we're seeing in roll-up TV's these days, I'd think the thickness would rival any of these extra thick patch/swatch cards. For power, solar technology for watches, etc, is off the charts, and considering people are paying hundreds of dollars for these Immaculate or whatever boxes containing one pack with some high end card, I don't see how it wouldn't be financially feasible.

Maybe my imagination is overly ambitious at the moment, but I was just kind of struck at how, given all of the advances in technology since my childhood, that I was still impressed by Sportflix from 1987, yet left wanting in 2019.

Last edited by conor912; 03-21-2019 at 10:20 AM.