View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 06:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
Cards like this are the real evidence that "value" is what a willing seller and willing buyer agree to as value. As a Cubs fan, I hope Bryant goes on to a HOF career and his cards are very valuable (even if the only ones I ever own are the Topps Heritage cards); just like Ernie Banks cards (see the 14 on the Cubs' uniforms this year). But, I live in St. Louis and the Cardinals' uniforms have OT on them this year, which just goes to show that anything can happen with young players. It doesn't matter what happens in the future, Wagner, Cobb, Mathewson, Ruth, Ott, Foxx, Dimaggio, Williams, Koufax, Mantle, Musial, etc. will still be the greats of the game.
There are vintage greats and other newer greats too. It's hard to get past some of the newer athletes issues though. But there are still some great ones... that don't get into trouble today. To many of us that collected Topps sets as kids, the new collecting is much more akin to gambling than what we did. We had cards in our spokes, collected our favorite players and teams and the bubblegum smell WAS in the air. I doubt a lot of the younger generation even knows what a clothespin is .

Last edited by Leon; 04-07-2015 at 06:48 AM.