Thread: I was there!
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not a big event but cool.

Grew up a huge Springsteen fan and always wanted to see the Stony Pony in Asbury Park. (Some dude on this chain may know it well.) One night about 6-7 years ago my wife and I were driving down the Garden State Parkway to some shore town for dinner. Traffic was terrible (for a change) and the next exit was Asbury Park. We decided to get off and find a restaurant there. Great dinner, lovely July night, and when we were done we talk a walk on the Boardwalk. I looked up and there was the Stone Pony. Not a grand structure to put it mildly. Pretty plain. We walked over to grab a beer but they were ticketing people for a 10pm show. We got wrist bands but after a few minutes decided to abandon ship and just walk back to the car. We walked alongside the Stone Pony and in the back parking lot there was a guy all by himself leaning into the trunk of a really cool 1960 something Mustang. I started teasing my wife that it was Bruce and we kept walking. Finally some older man cleaning the parking lot started yelling and waving "Hey Bruce. . .hey Bruce." We walked back towards the bar behind him laughing. He went in a side door and we turned around to leave. When we walked back past his car we saw he left the trunk open. We went back to the side door, banged on it, told some security guard Bruce had left his trunk open, and he came out and walked back with us to his car. Let's just say the pupils in his eyes were real small. Might explain the trunk. Nice guy and I came up with absolutely nothing of note or importance to say to him in the 50 seconds we were together.

So I finally got to the Stone Pony and met Bruce on my first visit. Not many people can say that. He did come on and play at 1 am for an hour (with Sean Penn???!!!) but I was in bed by then.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.