Thread: The SCDA trip
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default The SCDA trip

Posted By: jay behrens

To the conflict of interest issue. Industry standard was that it wasn't discloused in auction descriptions or on the LOA unless you asked. Not a great policy, but everyone did it, but becuase of this situation, changes have been made at SCDA so that autenticator ownership/finanacial interest is disclosed.

As of 2005, SCDA will always note whether the autheticator had a financial interest in the item. They cannot, however, force the auction houses to list in their description the fact that the authenticator has an interest in the item. So it is now in the hands of the auction houses as to what to do.

As to authenticators buying and selling items, I am more inclined to lean their way on this one. The main point being, would you trust an item coming from an acknowledge expert who is buying a selling and constantly handling these items, or somethone in the Field of Dreams store or HSN? As altruistic as we'd like to be, it's pretty much impossible to make a living authenticating only. In order to do that, authenticating prices would be thru the room and only the most significant pieces would ever get authenticated. Bushing and SCDA offer 100% money back gaurentees on their items, so what more can want? If you can prove them wrong, you'll get your money back.

The same can be said about card dealers. If you are looking for a rare card, are you going trust some no name seller on eBay or an established expert like Macrae, TIK, etc? Granted, they can't take a card and make it into something more important they it really is.

SCDA and Bushing say they stand behind their claims 100% on all items. If you can prove them wrong, they will gladly refund your money. You can't ask for much more than that.

As Bushing and SCDA repeatedly said, there is no 100% certianty with any item unless it comes directly from the player from that exact game situation. Beyond that, it's all about the buyer's comfort level with the item you are buying. There is always a leap of faith involved.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.