View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default Opinions on the book "The Card"

Posted By: Rob L

Wow, looks like the heat is on Mastro now (amazing, card doctoring also?)

Feds' memorabilia case heating up

BY MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, September 8th 2008, 9:20 PM

Several sports memorabilia officials have testified in recent weeks before a grand jury in Chicago that is investigating Mastro Auctions and fraud in the collectibles business.

Additional hobby insiders are also scheduled to testify before the grand jury, sources said, while others have been asked to provide records and other documents.

"There has been a parade of people going to the grand jury," said a source close to the case. "The feds are closing in."

The grand jury deliberations are part of an investigation into memorabilia fraud initiated last year by the Chicago division of the FBI, whose "Operation Foul Ball" smashed a multistate autograph forgery ring in the 1990s.

Although the target of the investigation is Illinois-based Mastro Auctions, sports memorabilia's largest auction house, other businesses and individuals may be involved.

Some of the hobby insiders who received subpoenas to appear before the grand jury are former Mastro Auctions employees. "The FBI told me I am not a target, but they want to talk to me," said one former Mastro worker.
Mastro Auctions president Doug Allen did not return a call for comment.
As the Daily News first reported, investigators from the FBI and the United Postal Service crashed the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., in August, delivering subpoenas to industry executives and questioning memorabilia companies' employees.

The investigation of Mastro Auctions has focused on shill bidding, card doctoring and other allegations of fraud.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba.../08/2008-09-08

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/