View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Tiffany sues E-Bay over counterfeit jewelry

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

Look what`s happening in New York. I found this today as well.Here are a few of the highlights from the news article I read. I won`t post the whole article here,if you want to read it go to Yahoo for it.

With so many moving targets, companies and attorneys battling the city's booming knockoff trade — some estimates put it at some $23 billion annually — are increasingly taking aim at the only people standing still: landlords.

Since the spring, luxury bag maker Louis Vuitton Malletier — part of the LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton conglomerate — has forced the owners of 18 Canal Street buildings to settle lawsuits claiming they had knowingly looked the other way while tenants hawked thousands of cheap fakes.

Jewelry maker Tiffany & Co. sued eBay in 2004, claiming the online auction site had facilitated counterfeiting by allowing thousands of bogus Tiffany items to be sold each year.

Like the owners of brick-and-mortar buildings, eBay's defense has been that it merely provides a place for people to advertise, and isn't itself involved in handling or selling merchandise.

I think both E-bay and Tiffany have some valid points to there respective cases.It will be interesting to see how this ends up.However I feel like it won`t change a thing for us with regard to all the fake cards cropping up on E-Bay.

A $23 BILLION estimate annually in the knockoff trade man that is a TON of crap!

Does anyone have a guess at how much money is spent on fake cards,autographs and such in a year? I`m guessin around $5 mil a year.