View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Larry

It's been one of the hottest sets going for some years now--an icon, for many of us boomers. I was at the 2009 National in Cleveland, and a dealer who just happened to be from my area was getting some cards back from the PSA area which had just been graded. He'd gotten some high-number common back in mint 9, and proudly announced to all within hearing distance that he had a buyer for it at $10,000 (it was apparently the first example to receive that lofty grade)!

Like a lot of '50's cards, however, there are a lot more out there than many people think. You won't see any shortage of '52 Topps Mantles in low to mid-grade, for example (yes, it is a double print), and they sell like hotcakes in any major auction.

Personally, I just say to each his own. The only '52 Topps I've ever owned was a Vern Stephens, and that was only because I liked Stephens--he was a heck of a shortstop--power hitter (39 homers, 159 RBI's one season), and an 8-time all-star. Bought him in the mid-nineties in PSA 8 and sold him about a decade later for five times what I paid.

Larry