View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default Beware! 1986-87 Fleer Collector's: Fake Jordan's

Posted By: Steve F

Great!

Finally a chance to bump that annoying typo requesting a 1957 Russell happy.gif

Some, but certainly NOT every way to spot a fake 23;

Fake version extra glossy and uses a slightly different font than the real cards. The registration is also not as sharp. Of course you'll need a hi-res, graded example for comparison.

The UV light test is useless.

Front Fleer logo is printed in a taller, thinner style, with the bottom of the R nearly touching the edge of red crown.

Also, the word Premier is a lighter, thinner style, appears more grayish than black. The fakes' black border lines are thin and light, and the card is a lighter weight stock.

Card back; Print and the logos are decent enough, but one major flaw is the bull's eyes are closed. On the real card, the whites of each eye will be visible. On this counterfeit these areas are almost completely filled in with blue ink.

Unless Frankie Fleer himself sold me a sealed box of these from the door of his estate, I would never buy a raw Jordan nowadays. The mid-graded examples are presentable, affordable and eliminate the risk and authentication fees.

Spamtime; I have one for sale 9(oc) which hurts it for many registry guys. I haven't the guts to crack and resub for fear it'll get dinged by a sloppy grader.