View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Mark Great photo pickup as always! These pickups arrived today and kept me out of the Kreindler sweepstakes this time around. The first item I am pretty excited about. It is an unusual scale model of Three Rivers Stadium. I have never seen one of these before. On the bottom is a copyright date of 1971 with the name of A.J. Di Giacobbe Jr. I looked up that name and discovered that he was a developer /realtor in Pittsburgh. The model is roughly 4.5 inches in diameter and about two inches tall. It is very light weight and fragile. Due to its construction I am having difficulty believing that it was released commercially as a souvenir. I think it may be an architectural model? Then again the text on the infield would seem to argue against that hypothesis. If anyone else has ever encountered one of these let me know. I would love to know its origin.

My second pickup are ticket stubs related to the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise records set by Willie Stargell. Lenny of Mookie's Tickets & Sports Memorabilia helped me obtain them. I spoke with him earlier today and I think I am going to make a run at attempting to obtain a ticket for every home and away regular season game played by the Pirates in 1971. I completed the post season games recently. I don’t know if it is even possible but it will be interesting trying to do so. If you can help me out with a stub or two let me know what you have. Has anyone else here attempted to do this with another team?
Hi Mike,
Nice pickups for you too!

Certainly others have attempted to collect tickets to special franchise seasons.
I collect home game season tickets to the California Angels first season in Anaheim- 1966. This is where I attended some of my 1st ML baseball games. I am far from completing this, but it's fun like working on completing a jigsaw puzzle.

Andy Fogel, which arguably has the greatest Mets collection, collects tickets related to the Mets championship years. Lenny Steren, who you just purchased the Stargell milestone tickets from, collects 1986 Mets tickets.
These are just a few collectors that I know do this, FWIW.

Good luck if you attempt to do this. I will look to see if I have any dates that might help. Another thought is to only collect the Pirates home and road wins from the 1971 year. Food 4 thought....