View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default Uncancelled George C. Miller value?

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

That's actually a pretty nice looking Reynolds.

Ungraded, some people might call that card vg in an ebay listing. Dolloff, in their July catalogue, lists a vg Reynolds at $495 and another at vg+ for $595. I have found their grading to be accurate. Their prices are on the high side but GCMs are tough to find. An example of "We have the card and you don't" pricing. I can't fault them for that.

The market for GCMs is a sellers market and they (Dolloff) are content to wait. Jim Manos told me about Dolloff some time ago and I finished my set with two cards that I simply could not find anywhere else after years of trying. I think Dave's estimates in an earlier thread may well be accurate for a buyer looking for a GCM type piece in poor condition. On the other hand, someone looking to fill out a set might pay $300-400 or even more for the same card. GCMs are so thinly traded, compared to Diamond Stars or Goudeys, or even Delongs, that "book" prices are really impossible to determine. I paid $355.01 on ebay for the ungraded Reynolds below in 2000. In that light, the Dolloff prices don't seem so out of line.

On the other hand, on the day, from the same seller (Scott Gaynor) I paid $163 for the Bartell.

It's a crap shoot for both buyers and sellers but sellers can always protect themselves with a reserve.