View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
The back of my Koufax is all white - no writing of any kind - completely blank. Is the style of back a clue as to year(s) issued? Maybe blank backs are all late 1950's.
That is interesting. I have 10-12 of the Mantle postcards but no postcard with a blank back. The oddball guide I use--Kelly Eisenhauer's piece on Mantle postcards--makes no mention of a blank back.

Are you sure this is a postcard? Did you buy it graded or have you had an opportunity to feel it? I ask because I do have a postcard sized image from McCarthy that I blank backed, but it is on photo paper rather than card stock. It is also color, but I'm sure there are black and whites out there.

Unfortunately, there is very little information out there about these oddball items, which is a shame since they are really cool pieces and really reasonably priced. If you do find yourself catching the collecting bug and chasing these things, my only recommendation is to avoid any of the 10x12 photos. A lot f the McCarthy negatives are our in the market and people are still producing photos from them. I'm sure there is a way to distinguish them by paper type, etc., but it's a bit risky.