View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: phil bornstein

My dad took me to Cooperstown during induction weekend in the mid 1970s. We stayed in some crappy motel. Induction weekend was not the big deal it is today and while there were plenty of people milling about there was not much security. On our way into town we passed the Otesaga Hotel (the grand old hotel where the players stayed). Dad figured we oughtta go in and look around and maybe get lucky getting an autograph or two. He sat me down on a couch in the lobby while he went to "look around" and check things out. I was maybe 12.

A few minutes later a few random people sat down on the couch with me and the chairs across from me. They start chatting and included me in the conversation a little. It was an odd group of people but all very nice to me. Before they all walked off one guy said- we should all sign that kid's hall of fame pamphlet (i must have been holding it) so he remembers who he talked to today. That guy signed on top (famed new york sports writer Dick Young) - followed by Cool Papa Bell, Bob Lemon, Mrs.Willie (Mae) Mays and Stan Coveleski. One of the oddest group of autographs you can imagine- but always brings a smile to my face. Cool Papa Bell stayed and talked to me and Dad for about a half hour after that- sure wish I remembered what about.................