View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Hi Sean, we're not terribly expert on punchboards, and we're not entirely sure how serious all your questions are, but...
There are at least five known varieties of punchboards with the Diamond Dust title, three of those with the "5c a Sale" notation.
As far as we know, the "1940" attribution is just an approximation -- all five versions date from somewhere in the mid-1930s to the mid-1940s.
This particular version is fairly tough, but doesn't seem especially rare.
A pristine, unpunched board always has much better eye appeal in our opinion.
Of course, you won't find any baseball cards in any process of punching out the board, if that was a serious question.
The shopkeeper who had a board like this one on display paid a relative pittance for X number of punchboards,
and stood to make about eight bucks in profit per board after all the winning numbers had been punched and paid out.
So where do the little baseball cards come from, if they are not in the board? I actually have 3 of the Diamond Dust cards in my collection. Did the storekeeper trade them for some winning (or losing) number or something?
Yes, it was a serious question. I think I can open the back paper and extract the card without ruining the front. I am particularly leaning towards opening the back, if there is a significant number of baseball guys inside (like Babe Ruth!), but if there is nothing inside, I will leave it as is.

Thanks for your help!
Sean