View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Adam

Default 64 Topps Card: Fake, Miscut or Trimmed?

I received this card in the mail after having won it in a recent auction. I thought the bottom edge looked a little funny in the original pic, but in my experience, camera phones have a tendency to make the edges of cards appear rounded at times even though they're perfectly straight.

Well, after it arrived, I could immediately see that there is crescent-shaped curvature on the bottom left of the card. I have compared it to a 64 Killebrew which I know to be legit for comparison. You can see that the AL Bombers card has the same length as the Killer, but is slightly wider except for where that curvature comes in at the bottom. The coloring on the back is lighter on the AL Bombers card as well. But otherwise, the cards have the same thickness, the edges appear to be the same while looking through my magnifying glass, and the cardboard stock looks and feels the same. Even where the cut is weird on the AL Bombers card, it doesn't appear sharp like a razor was taken to it. It has the same consistency there as the other edges.

I'm wondering if the weird cut could have been done at the Topps factory since the card is slightly wider overall and the cut is uneven. Or if this is an outright fake, or if someone cut it themselves. I'm just disappointed about the card, and know very little about this kind of stuff. I didn't pay a lot for the card, but I hope I wasn't completely ripped off with a fake or something.