View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Jeff Carlson

Default Autographed Card Sold As Is

I've been working for several years on an autographed 1963 Fleer baseball set. Having gotten pretty close to complete (62/66), I decided to work on autographed 1960 and 1961 Fleer sets.

I have mostly stuck to authenticated and slabbed cards, but recently a couple auctions came up for raw, signed 1960 Fleer. The autos looked close enough to authenticated signatures that I took a chance and I ended up winning both Ernie Lombardi and Dazzy Vance. Vance would be a great pickup since he died in February of 1961 and, thus, there was a small window to actually get the card signed. I am going to send it in for authentication, but had a question.

The seller clearly stated that he had bought a large collection and marked the cards as be sold as is, without a COA. I am assuming that, if the card does not pass authentication, I just end up just taking the loss and using it as a lesson to stick to be less exuberant and stick to previously authenticated card. Correct?

With winning the card for $42 delivered and $93 for authentication and shipping, it would be a coup if it is authenticated, but a painful experience if it isn't.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 09-06-2017 at 05:34 PM.