View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Rick P

Gentlemen, I have the answer. In 1938, Kellogg's Corn Flakes offered a booklet titled "PLAY BALL WITH KELLOGG'S - WRITTEN BY LEW FONSECA." The 56-page instructional booklet is filled with photos showing Fonseca in the uniform in question at Comiskey Park. The hat and uniform logos are airbrushed away; the hat might just have provided a good contrast for black-and-white photography. Lance, your second photo is used in the book...the first one is not.

The booklet discloses that "Kellogg's Baseball School was first tried in Chicago in 1937, when 40,000 boys stormed Chicago's playgrounds to receive instructions from Fonseca and other "deans of baseball" during the 10-week term...Because the Chicago school so clearly demonstrated a desire on the part of boys to learn to play baseball correctly, plus their real need of some plan to earn baseball equipment, Kellogg's now announce (sic) a nation-wide Baseball School plan for the summer-season." 1938 Corn Flakes boxes illustrated 18 good play techniques on the back panels, and the side panels offered boxtop redemption opportunities to earn this booklet, Spalding baseballs and Louisville Slugger bats (Babe Ruth and Joe Medwick models).

Fonseca signed this copy for me back in the 80s. I think we can mark this one..."Case Closed."

Last edited by Oldtix; 08-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.