View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Are cards (well, stickers) less intertwined with soccer than baseball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
I’m not sure if cards (well, stickers) are less intertwined with soccer than baseball. Maybe it depends on the region. I know match programs were big in the UK but I think stickers predominated in South America.
I originally started collecting soccer purely for speculation / investment. Part of my logic on this is that in the US, I think baseball cards will become less popular/expensive after my generation (those that grew up in the 80s / early 90s) starts to die off because baseball cards won't have been an active part of a kid's childhood. I grew up in a time where we all took our binders of cards to school and traded at recess.

I think that soccer will increase in value because every 4 years kids around the entire world collect soccer stickers right now. These kids will all grow up into adults and will someday gain a disposable income (especially as the world economy becomes intertwined and lifts incomes in poorer countries). And these kids will want to buy into the nostalgia, just like I do.

So I see that cards (stickers actually) are completely intertwined with soccer and will become more and more recognized as such in the generations to come.

It does seem that this is less the case in England. And it is also not the case in the US. But in Italy and South America, parts of Asia and Eastern Europe, I think this is definitely the case.