View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have both, for a lot of what I collect grading simply isn't practical. But over the years I've picked up a few nicer cards that I've sent in, and a handful that I've bought graded. Usually because they were good deals either way, or looked a lot nicer than the grade, or even a couple that were issued graded.

I don't really get the hate for grading, it's a tool like any other. Other hobbies have done it for longer, and nearly all have some system for either grading or authentication. Some have had at least authentication since the 1860's.

I don't see much need to grade cards with obvious problems, unless the confidence that it's what it appears to be has value. So I have graded a few that are in lesser condition.

It's fine to try to retain the "purity" of being just a collector, but somewhere along the line you or a family member will become a seller.
And I haven't met many collectors who largely ignore condition when buying.

Yes, grading has made cards a bit of a commodity, and that has raised prices since some people who don't want to spend the time or effort to do their own authenticating and grading can now spend a bit more comfortably.
But that same rise in prices has made more cards available for all of us, and it could be argued that the concentration on the top grades has actually lowered or restrained prices for those of us that collect mid grade or less.

Steve B