View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Erik

Default Favorite 1960's Football Set

For all my fellow vintage football card collectors here, I am curious as to which set or sets (we can go up to two sets) are your favorites from the 1960's. This includes Topps, Fleer and Philadelphia sets of the decade.

For me, the 1969 Topps set is my favorite. When I was about 10 years old, my future brother in-law gave me about half of the set. I would look over those cards every day, studying the stats of each player. This was my first vintage set of any kind.

The John Hadl card is my favorite. I loved the fact though he was a quarterback, his jersey number was 21 not the traditional 12 or 14 like other QB's.

Thru the years I completed the set and even updated a few cards such as Namath and Starr because he wrote A.L. Football on the Namath card and N.L. Football on Starr's card.

I love the color of the set and the great mix of stars from both leagues.

The 1967 Topps set is my second favorite. I know it is not necessarily a very glamourous set but I am a HUGE AFL fan, I like the design of the set and the fact there were only 132 cards in the set to collect. Plus, being a pro wrestling fan back in the day, it has Wahoo McDaniel's only card as well as Ernie Ladd's last Topps card.

There are several great sets from all three companies during the decade. It was difficult to settle on just two but these are my two and I am sure everyone's favorites will vary.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 11-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.