View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Larry-- you mentioned the Smith issue along with Flood back in a June 2013 thread. And I just recently picked up the variant to the 63 496 card that you or someone recently posted in here somewhere ( bite out of the circle around Dalkowski )
I remember that thread......that thread was a case of me asking a question that I already knew the answer to. I was looking to start a conversation about the hoarding w/o specifically mentioning it.

The last National I went to was in 2011. On that Thursday morning of the show, I bought every copy of both cards I could find...I found 2 Floods and about 40 copies of the 242 Hal Smith cards. My guess is that the Flood hoarder had a Wednesday pass but I apparently made it through ahead of the 61 242 collector. Anyway, over the next few months I sold about 60% of the 61 242 cards to this collector and the remaining 40% to the other collectors who had a glaring hole in their set.

To tie this back to the original point of this thread, I wonder what percent of the available population of these cards have been collected by each collector? Approximately 80 copies of the Smith card have sold over the past two months. For a year, close to 500 copies of this card will sell. If 500 copies sell strictly as singles on ebay each year(who knows how many more copies sold as part of lots/sets, at shops/shows), what percent of the available remaining population does this number sold represent?