View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Default 91 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Were these only available in wax packs? Assumining they were all in 15 card wax packs (neglecting cellos and rack packs), that's 4.75 million 792 card 1991 SETS just from wax packs. Throw in factory sets and vending boxes (and potentially cello and rack packs) and you're talking a mammoth production run.
I am not sure if this only includes wax packs. I know the Desert Shield packs also had the same promotion and used the exact same boxes & wrappers - therefore the difficulty in telling the two sets apart without opening packs. I do not know if rak paks, vending cases, cellos & sets were included in the promotion...and therefore included in the 1:1,000 ratio. Either way it is a lot of cards.

Originally, I thought I could determine the date cards/sets/sheets were printed from the codes at the bottom or side of each box. However, I now believe the code actually is related to the print run / product type (code#362 sheets of baseball) / type (code 70 is for a box) as in the example below.

Therefore most of the 1991 variations - and as Al has pointed out there are numerous variations - will be found in the sheets that start with an 01 or an 02 print code indicating the corresponding print run as they fixed the errors. Desert Shield cards were printed in the 3rd print run but used the 1st print run boxes.

Z Wheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1991 Topps Desert Shield Box Code Set #2 on Box.jpg (85.2 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 09-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.