View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Dan Mabey

Default Greetings to Old Friends

Hello, David & Grant.

It is wonderful to make contact with the dedicated legion of POSTulates. As you may know, since moving from Northern Virginia to South Carolina (9 years ago) I have not been actively engaged in the sports collectibles hobby. One driving factor has been a focus on community outreach, faith growth, animal rescue, and a significant amount of travel. The other issue has been a function of living in an area where "sports oriented" conventions and shows focus on guns and knives. The latter is not my passion, so ...

Thanks in large part to Rich Mueller, of Sports Collectors Daily, my modest reappearance in the hobby has been a stimulus to revisit and share the joys of the Post and JELL-O baseball card promotions. Once the on-line interview was published, I received dozens of messages from the US and Canada. Interestingly enough, it wasn't just collectors. I received calls from dealers, museum curators, and even small town historical chronologists. One gentleman from Kentucky is a newspaper and internet commentator that focuses on Americana, circa 1950s-1960s. All in all, it's been great fun.

One gratifying aspect of "landing" on Net54 is that it is comforting to know that the heart of the hobby is still beating. Sure, it's not the same as the first National off of Century Blvd in LA, or the incredible weekend shows in Buena Park, but I sense that the spirit and wonder exuded by true hobbyists is still out there. Every once in awhile, I swear I feel the ghosts of Burdick, Jasperson, Gelman, Riley, et. al. hovering over these posts. [NOTE: By ghosts, I do not necessarily mean all of these fine people have departed this earth.]

Nice to hear from you guys. KEEPMEPOSTED!