View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
I am not entirely sure, and this might derail this thread, but I would vote for the 78 Jackson because of the incredible classic image is completely representative of who Jackson was, and it followed his classic performance.

I would also include the 1971 Thurman Munson because that too was a great image that completely represented how he went about things.

Then last, I would vote for the 1973 Johnny Bench or maybe the 1977 Pete Rose...having trouble there...

Your thoughts?
Jason,

I thought maybe there was some industry established top 3 cards of the 70's or something.

Glad you asked because I feel qualified to answer this! Started collecting in 72, but sold most of my collection for peanuts about 20 years ago. Kept my near complete well worn 72 set and a few select others.

Recently got back into collecting.

1. I do love that pose on the 78 Jackson. (picked him back up this summer along with all the hall of famers from the 78 set)
2. Also agree that the 71 Munson can be near the top of the list.

3. My vote for the third in the top 3: I scoured my memory for 70's cards that stuck in my head. When I think of the 73 set, I think of the Roberto Clemente. Back then I didn't make the connection, but the shadows on his face in that card seem appropriate considering he had already passed away when this card was released.

Picked it "back up" on eBay from buythatcard last night. So now the thread isn't hi jacked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente73.jpg (16.2 KB, 53 views)