View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmarks View Post
A bit of a Johnny-come-lately, but great items and discussion Brian and Mike. My favorite set! So if I might, a couple of questions for you guys and a couple of other points that may be of some interest.

So it is with this background and perhaps gaining more information, I would like to ask you guys about these flats you have or have seen. So Brian if I might (and how have you been since it seems we "talk" every couple of years), I would like to find out more about the cards you talk about in this thread and your book. We certainly have talked a decent amount your Mantle (WONDERFUL PIECE!!). So questions:

Is the second flat you mention you have in this thread the Maris that in your book you talk about and seemed to have bought at that the Philly show in 88 (and which is a Blackberry flavor)? Your book also talks about a large Pascual Strawberry flat and a small T. Davis Strawberry flat you had seen in auctions. I am just wondering if you have other 62 Jell-O boxes where I could learn of the player appearing on the box to correlate with the size/flavor (the four cards discussed about are all presently on my player-to-flavor listing).

For Mike, have a simpler question. I believe the Warwick flat you are talking about is a 63 Jell-O, but just want to make sure. Also might you have knowledge or specimens of other 62 players where you know which flavors they appeared on. And I guess another question whether we have "met" on the internet before (Being I struggle with knowing exactly who is who and all you know if a persons user name for the site, so just wondering.)

I know this is long, but am going to make one observation that may be helpful to you guys in tracking the history of your flats. Within the hobby there are copies of a very old advertisement for 1962 Jell-O flats. I probably have had it for 20 years and looks like it is a copy of a copy of a copy....... It is an ad run by Lew Lipset where he is selling like 85 1962 Jell-O flats. The ad shows player, flavor on, and price he wants. (It does not show size but I would bet a ton they are all small boxes and none pudding, just based on what I have seen over the years). What is interesting is every small box discussed on this thread (Mantle, Maris, Pinson, Davis including the flavor) is on on Lew's ad for sale. I certainly suspect that your flats may have gone back to this sale by Lew. For what it is worth, it is my understanding that Lew made sales of about half these flats then wholesaled the remainder to a collector who has slowly sold them himself over the years.

Going to call it a day with this note, but would also as anyone else reading this, if they know a box flavor a player appeared on (and hopefully a picture) would love to know. Ken Marks bwnrot@aol.com
Wow, Ken, I should have known you would come to our buddy's rescue with some genuine information, to go with the accurate conjecture. I will be trying to call you soon, my dear fellow collecting warrior. We've got issues at the house---A/C on the fritz!!!!!!!!!

Very late to answer you, but yes, the other 1962 JELL-O unfolded box I own is a Blackberry Roger Maris. Truly, it is one of the prized pieces of my small collection. I do not own any other complete boxes, but am extremely thankful to God that I own the two I do.

Since the dealer I bought it from at Philly fall 88 worked with Alan Rosen, it would not surprise me if the Mantle & Maris were once a part of the huge batch you wrote of that Lew Lipset offered. "The stuff dreams are made of" indeed.

Ken, are you working with Dan Mabey on his 1962 JELL-O baseball card research / book project? I want to let Dan know he can use anything from my book he wishes. I figured he'd love my story from summer of '62 when I saw a whole slew of them at the Jewel Supermarket. Sad story.

Kindest regards to you, Ken. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 05-31-2018 at 11:34 AM.