View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Being Canadian, I have been collecting vintage hockey for many years now and there aren't that many of them out there. For example, if I do an eBay search for a 1958 Topps Bobby Hull Rookie, I will see that there are currently 25 of them up for sale. There are 15 1960 Topps Stan Mikita rookies and only 5 1961 Parkhurst Dave Keon rookies.

Now I was searching for some vintage football last night, and I just couldn't believe how many of them are out there. I see at least 120 John Unitas rookies and 90 Jim Brown rookies - that's quite a lot!

In Canada, companies didn't start mass-producing hockey cards until the late 1970s. In USA, it looks like companies were doing this as early as the 1950s. With baseball it's even worse. There are a trillion Roberto Clemente rookies and Hank Aaron rookies out there.

Anyways, I do want to go after the key football rookies, but it just sucks that there are so many of them.
I guess its all perspective. We in the states consider the mass production of cards to have started in 1989 when all sorts of companies besides Topps began producing them.

To me, "mass produced" means there are so many that the price for them is close to zero. I would not consider Unitas, Brown, and Namath rookie cards as mass produced given their cost.

jeff