View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default authentic grade, new look

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...Comic Auctions, running simultaneously. Early last year, among a dozen or so other Comic Auctions, I ran two CGC graded NM- 9.2 X-Men 19s simultaneously. The differences were DRASTIC, as the scans indicated.
The first I described as: CGC 9.2, but actually closer to the average 9.6 NM+ (equivalent in card grading to a PSA 9) with brilliant colors, snow-cover-whites, white pages, and appearing virtually flawless.
The second copy of the same issue I described as: CGC 9.2, but actually more indicative of the average 7.5 VF- (equivalent in card grading to a PSA 6). It had "return copy paint" sprayed on the top (when they bundled comics for return to the distributor, and they arrived for re-distribution for other than disposal at periodical outlets, the "rack-jobbers" sprayed paint across the top of the bundles)that had DRIPPED in many places down the front and back covers, weak corners with dog-ears, multiple spine stresses, surface dirt, etc. etc.
The high res super quality scans that I'm known for beautifully verified my analyses of the actual grades and so did the final auction prices! The better copy, which at the time should have brought approx. $150..brought in nearly DOUBLE that figure, while the dreck, graded the same by CGC, brought about $80 (just a little more than what a CGC VF- was expected to fetch). Even though they were left in, scanned in, and sold in their original 9.2 unrestored Blue top holders!