View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeno7 View Post
Ebay is a contract. There are legal obligations for both the buyer and the seller. The seller, in this case, breached the contract. Not only is it legally wrong for him to do, it is ethically wrong. It's also bad taste.

Ive made pricing mistakes on ebay as well. I met my obligation and took the hit. (and no, they weren't only mistakes of a couple of bucks but a significant amount) I then scanned my remaining items for pricing errors. It was the right thing to do.

At worst, the seller should have first asked the buyer permission to cancel the purchase. If the buyer did not want to then the seller was legally (and ethically) bound to sell the item.
I am not certain of legal issues, but see no moral problem with correcting an obvious pricing error. This is a common practice in other industries, and even websites such as Amazon.com. I work for a car dealership. If an ad is posted with an incorrect price, we print a retraction. I remember a used car worth around $25k getting priced at 2,500. We received several calls and emails the next day. We did not sell the car for 2,500.

I see a moral problem with someone trying to take advantage of a seller's honest mistake and buy a card for 10-20, or even 50% of its value. Like Matt said, had I seen a card like that on a BIN, I might have hit the buy button. But I certainly wouldn't hold it against the seller when he catches the mistake and cancels the sale.