View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Yes, rarely does a fraudster invent the wheel. You give great examples of times when a company may have manufactured scarcity on a particular card. This was often done so kids would have a tough time completing a set. But the problem is that the ENTIRE HOBBY now revolves around the manufactured rarity. The only real valuable cards are the ones that are intentionally rare. You cite the 32 caramel Lindstrom, but I would prefer the “base” Ruth.
I don't even disagree with your point about the modern hobby relying so heavily on manufactured scarcities as much as I disagree with what seems to be some posters looking down on what other people choose to collect.

I have written on here before that T206 Cobb cards or a 52T Mantle don't excite me at all because they can be purchased any day of the week on eBay, in various grades. But I understand why people choose to collect those cards. Some of the stuff that excites me might only be a $300 card, but only shows up once every 10 years or once in a lifetime. The Amelia Earhart card I use for my avatar right now was only a $300 card, but I love it because I have only ever seen one other Heinz Aviators Earhart at auction or for sale.

I love seeing some of the obscure cards Peter Spaeth posts on here that I have never seen before. I guess what I am really trying to say is that there is no wrong way to collect.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-17-2019 at 11:42 PM.