View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default I like this topic!

This is one of those casual conversations I will always get suckered into - I don't care if I had never spoken with the person before in my life. If movies are mentioned, I'm in.

Here would be my recommendations (largely based upon my favorite movies):

The Shawshank Redemption - agreeing with a few of you that this is the best film ever made. Everything is perfect in this movie, and the marriage of all of the aspects is seamless.

Godfather I & II The III is good relative to other movies, but doesn't deserve to be a part of the perfection that is Godfather. The score, the tragedy, just amazing.

It's a Wonderful Life This is a lot of people's family favorite, and it's that contextual and familial feel that make this movie. I literally cannot watch this movie without simply sitting there in tears like a toddler throughout the entire thing. My wife will come in as I will be watching the movie angrily every year, disgusted that I can't make it 5 minutes without crying.

Lawrence of Arabia Still the most interesting character study I've seen on film. It's not for everyone, as I have no problem sitting there for 3+ hours and devouring it.

River Runs Through It There are few movies that I have dwelt on for days after the fact. I remember when I first saw this as a high school student in early 2000s, and I remember mowing the lawn in a state of morose over this movie.

Schindler's List The scene at the end by Liam Neeson is still probably the most powerful scene I have ever seen in movies. I will weep every time.

Rope If I had to pick my favorite Hitchcock movie, this actually wouldn't be it, but I think it's brilliant and different. The extremely long takes in this film give it a feel as though you are there.

On the Waterfront Iconic quotes, Marlon Brando at his peak, great symbolism, and perfect acting.

12 Angry Men Basically everyone needs to see this movie at some point. It's brilliant. One of my favorite quotes in any film
[Juror #7 gets up and heads to the bathroom]
Juror #9: Now I'm talking here! You have no right to leave this room - !
Juror #8: [calmly stopping him] He can't hear you, and he never will. Let's sit down.

I'll stop for now.