Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Jason - no one on this entire board of 1000's of people seems to be interested in this, except you, me and David, so this apparently isn't very important. So no need to get too upset about me posting - I just thought it was interesting that Winston would do something this obvious, blatant and stupid, after all the other stupid things he has done. I also think it's crazy stupid that someone submitted over 900 of his autographs to anyone - it just happens to be JSA - as it is an obvious trail toward incriminating Winston, and I guess whoever submitted the autographs, although that is not clear.

The point of my post was simply to make the story available by posting the link. Right after I posted it the story ran live on ESPN, and it was sort of a big deal to them, as was JSA's involvement. So if you think I'm taking a shot at a TPA, and that offends you, then be offended by ESPN as well.

However, here is my thinking on JSA's involvement, since I suspect you are going to ask me: JSA has already been through this with Gurley, so they know the signing rules as they apply to college athletes. The players cannot sign for money, and they can't sign for someone who is going to use the autographs for money (I assume this last part has to do with 'mass' signings).

JSA authenticated over 900 Winston items, of only 2-3 types, all at the same time, and from the same source, and all apparently signed with the same pen and in the exact same style;i.e-Winston sat down and signed over 900 items. I didn't make this up - I read it in news reports and heard it on ESPN.

JSA has no liability for doing this; however, they had to know that this idiot Winston was going to get fried for it if caught. Winston is a college athlete, so 900+ items coming in at once from the same source indicates 'for profit'.

But no, JSA has no liability.

Jason - why does it bother you that JSA would give up submission reports? Would you rather they hide what they did so that no one gets caught for violating NCAA rules? If that's how you feel, fine. I'm just wondering.