View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis34 View Post
Have already returned ball for full refund, nothing lost, no worries.....Thanks though, got caught up in a moment. Sure it has never happened to anyone on this board....
Thanks for posting your thoughts and your auto's here. Thanks for taking the time to search out the information and get the answers you need. I'm just a collector and have I have fell pray to fakes too. I think it's important to look at the Mantle auto's again and look for some of the "tells".

First you will notice that despite being shaky, the M's (1/2 moons) are very narrow to start with. The baseline of the "Mickey" is almost always perfect. Notice how in the forged ball the "k" drops below the baseline. It also might appear as "Milkey" as the c points up too much. The curved top of the K also generally lines up with tail of the y. The Ma in Mantle is always the biggest tells for me. There is no slow moving curve where the M attaches to the a. It is usually more of a flick or runs up the a. It also would appear to read in the forged item," Mautle".

These are some I use to spot obvious forgeries. These guys here are pros and sometimes they probably are a little harsh like I am too because we are all just sick that this can keep happening at such a frightening level. If anyone knows the score it's Richard, Jodi, TT2 and especially Shelly, who lived the tale. Thanks Shelly for adding to the discussion. Once you know what to look for, these obvious forgeries actually just jump right out at you.

Compare this authentic signature to the ss ball you have and I think you would agree there is no comparison.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and nice job getting your money back. I hope you stay active on the board. Merry Christmas to all. FUDD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle #3 .jpg (70.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 12-24-2010 at 02:06 PM.