View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM
P.hil €lli$

Ben, you are correct.

David took some statistics that he Googled to try and make his point. Pit Bulls are the most mis-identified breed out there. The term "Pit Bull" is actually a catch-all phrase for many "Bully Breeds" including American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldog and many mixes of these breeds with other breeds.

I'm sure the stats that David took lumped many mixed breed dogs into his 64% of attacks by Pit Bulls, but when he said that Pit Bulls only make up 6% of all breeds, I'm sure that number relates to American Pit Bull terriers that only make up a small percentage of all the dogs that are termed a "pit bull".
Law enforcement and the media continue to mis-identify the true breed of most dogs involved in attacks.

My pit-mix came from a high-kill shelter in Georgia where every dog in that shelter was labeled a "Pit Bull" on their information sheet. It was just easier for the over-worked employees to label every mixed breed dog a pit bull.

I said that David's response was ignorant because it's obvious that he doesn't have any experience at all with "Pit Bulls". Educated yourself before you make such a blanket statement. I have owned my dog for almost three years and I also volunteer on weekends at a shelter dedicated to finding homes for pit bulls. I would include myself in the "ignorant" category too before my experience with these wonderful dogs. But I have learned so much about these dogs.

So according to Dave, he would want me and Ben to euthanize our pets because "they should all be euthanized"......how ignorant.