Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

I had a question for y'all.

So, I started this 16" x 20" a week or so ago:

And don't worry it's not finished, but it's still gonna be a golden hour thing, with the sun low on the horizon.

But I digress...

The image was from a photo sold in one of Legendary's auctions months ago, and if you remember, was purchased by that Jake fella (I think).

What I was wondering was, have any of you ever seen this image before that particular auction? It was entirely new to me, and I was just trying to see if I could narrow down a correct date for it. I'm pretty sure the heading from the auction was incorrect with the 1915-18 date, as I'm pretty darn sure that the Red Sox uniforms didn't have that style lettering until 1919, and despite what the description says, I'm pretty sure they had pinstripes as well. I was hoping to get a bit more specific than 1919, though. I checked baseball-reference to look up whatever games Boston played in '18 or '19, as they were the only ones in which Ruth hit more than 10 homers. And of course, I couldn't find any contest against Detroit that included Ruth's 10th homer - he hit that one on July 10 against the Browns.

Am I crazy? And really, if there is an obvious thing I overlooked, feel free to chime in. I mean, even if it was a correct month, it would really help me for whatever narrative I end up writing. And of course, if it's an exact date, then that would be perfect.

Anywho, any help that y'all can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 10-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.