View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 PM
Jay Cee

Education and ease at finding whatever you are looking for, plays a big factor. Plus, does size matter?

Key factors for T206. The history of them being collected as they have always been popular. Its a large set filled with HOFers. Many poses, variations and different backs. Plus, the set contains the ultimate social status card with the Wagner.

Surprising that the M116 Sporting Life cards made from the same timeframe don't bring similar prices as their counterparts the T206. Both series are small cards and colorful. Plus easy to store.

19th Century cards we tend to see the larger items being more valuable. Example Old Judges N172 (small) compared to N173s Cabinets (large) or Kalamazoo Bats N690 (medium) compared to N690-1 Cabinets (large). We don't always see this for early 20th Century cards which has always purplexed me. Many times the larger items like T3 Cabinets (large) or M110 Cabinets (large) which were given out as promo/redemption card don't get the proper boost in value based on their scarcity.

We see Zeenuts have a ten times multiplier if it has a coupon still attached. But the reality is its 100 times more rare. Maybe this is why TPGs will grade Zeenuts with a torn coupon completely off and still give it a numerical grade. If they are willing to over look a torn card, then why don't they give Postcards the same love with writing on them or a stamp. They were made to be used that way just like Zeenuts.

So, no surprise Postcards have been the red headed under valued step child for years. TPGs just hammered them unjustly IMO. Postcards which are medium in size and also have all the players from the era should be very desirable. Throw one of the best baseball players of all-time in Ty Cobb and you have instant gold! Lets face it, There will never be another .366 life time BA or even close

When I talk card sizes I feel there are 5 sizes.

Small (Tobacco/Candy)
Standard (Goudey/Topps)
Medium (Postcards)
Large (Cabinets)
Xtra Large (Imperial Cabinets)

I Know I strayed off the OP, but wanted to look at some things from 30,000 feet up!