View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Default This is why.... and playing for the Yankees is key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I like Jeter. Think he played the game the right way. But the love fest that the modern fan has with the guy makes me scratch my head. And $100,000 for a non autographed rookie is the height of insanity. I don't care what the grade is.

He got 3,000 hits, so he should be in the Hall. But outside of hitting for average (.310 is good, I will give him that), tell me what Derek Jeter did that was exceptional?
Not saying I would pay $100k, but Jeters numbers are impressive, not to mention he played his entire career for one team and played only one position his entire career (he played more games at SS than Robin Yount and Ernie Banks added together).

A five-time World Series champion, Jeter is regarded as a central figure of the Yankees' success of the late 1990s and early 2000s for his hitting, baserunning, fielding, and leadership.

He is the Yankees' all-time career leader in hits (3,465), doubles (544), games played (2,747), stolen bases (358), times on base (4,716), plate appearances (12,602) and at bats (11,195). His accolades include 14 All-Star selections, five Gold Glove Awards, five Silver Slugger Awards, two Hank Aaron Awards, and a Roberto Clemente Award. Jeter was the 28th player to reach 3,000 hits and finished his career ranked sixth in MLB history in career hits and first among shortstops.

The only players with more career hits than Jeter are Pete Rose, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial and Tris Speaker. And you have to remember all of Jeters postseason records, all time postseason hits leader, etc.

Last edited by BLongley; 05-26-2018 at 08:26 AM.