View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Ken Marks

I would certainly agree that a Post Cereal Master set, as discussed above, is comprised of one card from each each cereal flavor/size that a player appeared on. However I would include a couple of caveats.

1) There are a few players where Post made changes to the narrative at some point in the production run on certain card panels. The Adcock/Adock and Cepeda cards in the 62 BB set are examples of this and in that case you would need (for example) both versions of Joe Adcock (Adcock and Adock) for each of the 10 oz. Grape Nuts, 16 oz Grape Nuts, and the Post Ten Tray since both versions appeared on those panels. (Narrative differences of cards such as Cash, Gentile, and Hanson did not occur on the same cereal boxes, so all those variations are captured by simply getting a card from each cereal flavor they appeared on.)

2) In 1962 for both baseball and football, Post put out two players on two different large Raisen Bran panels. There are discernible cropping differences in each of the two cards for all four players on those BB and FB panels ... and a master set should include both versions of each player.

3) Again in 1962, Post printed panels on two types of the 12 oz. Post Toasties packages (thus creating the "white backs"). While likely fewer collectors would agree, I believe a master set should include both versions of each of those 28 players for each of the sports.

4) Cards from the individual Alpha Bits variety packages (Post Tens and Treat Packs) each are different for most years and a master set should include both versions of these cards.

I so totally agree that the definition of a Master Set can vary and there is not a universally agreed definition. So am not claiming the above is the sole way it should be viewed. I would say though that in discussion with Dan Mabey over the years, believe he agrees (along with other major collectors such as Dave Worley and Fred McKie). This is a good discussion and would love to hear more thoughts on the definition. Have a good day everyone.