View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Craig Diamond

Default T3 production

Hello,
Thanks for exploring the topic. Of all the aspects related to Turkey Reds, I've not fully explored the actual issue of production. There are some relevant and important sources online that describe the chromolithographic printing process, as it was utilized broadly during its day to produce some beautiful art (like T3s). While I've never found a specific mention of the T3 printing process, my assumption would certainly be that it mirrored the production of all similar instances of chromolithographic printing on paper of that time period. Here are a few additional elements to consider:

Were they produced on sheets? If so, what size (how many cards per sheet)? Which players were on a sheet - multiples of the same? By number/alphabetical? Or maybe one by one?

I've inspected thousands of T3s over the years and have never found one off center enough to determine the identity of another card on any side. Also, since they were redemption items issued by request it would seem that the production crew would potentially print more Cobbs and Mattys than Devlins.

An examination of the T3 proofs reveals ghost images on the unprinted backs of several. This might give clues as to how they were stacked and how sheets were layed out. Or maybe not if the cards were produced one by one.

How about the updated cards - McIntyre, Doolan, Paskert, Tenney. If printed on sheets, how were these updates done?

Rhoades is a rarity, with no Turkey Red back examples. Was he a victim of lack of demand? No one else seems to have been? A broken/damaged printing plate maybe?

How about the quite rare "B's" of the second series (Bell, Bender, Browne, Burns, Bescher) who are rarely found with Turkey Red backs? We know the cards were created like a "sandwich" with two very thin pieces of printed paper attached to a thicker center piece and we also believe that the Turkey Red backs were printed during the final runs of the second series. Do the "B's" then hint at a damaged plate with many cards on it?

That's enough for now.

I'd enjoy hearing some educated opinions on these questions. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Happy Collecting,
Craig