View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Ballpark advantages

Many great players have had favorable home park advantages since the beginning of the live ball era.

That's not to say a player is good/bad or indifferent, it's what he's faced with.

The Rockies players certainly have to deal with the perception that their home park somehow diminishes their accomplishments.
Seems they get penalized for their home park, but good hitting parks have always existed.
Polo Grounds, Right field in Yankee stadium, Fenway short distance fences, Baker Bowl, old Tiger Stadium, Houston's Minute Maid , Arizona's Chase field and dozens more both modern and vintage...

Sometimes it works in reverse, Dodgers parks ( for just one example ) sure tend to make LA pitchers look better...yet that advantage seems to not be important to compare historical or statistical discussion. Are all the Dodgers award winning pitchers exactly the same on the road?

I think it is what it is...if all you have to do to get great stats is to play for the Rockies everyone should be doing it.

Back to Blackmon.
He can run, hit,throw and field. Precious few players do that anymore. The 3 game series I watched recently was in Phoenix and he didn't hit a home run. He was clearly the most complete player on the field. Pollock was a close second. I don't know what other ballpark these teams should have been playing in , but even though they are both hitters parks, I didn't dismiss their talents. In game three, the score was 0-0 after 12 innings, Blackmon finished 0-6 and I still saw him as the best player.

Full disclosure, I don't have Charlie on my fantasy team, I am not a Rockies fan either.
I live for the deplorable Phillies.
I have been an avid baseball fan since I was a 8 yr old in 1970. I have read a hundred Baseball books about older players. I don't think less of Mel Ott or even Sandy Koufax for accomplishing what they did in their era or their ballpark. It just " is what it is " for me!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.