View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM

The 1960 Topps Baseball set.

Growing up as a kid in Northwest Indiana in the 1970's one of the first baseball card shops opened up in the Region. It became a frequent hang out of my friends and I who collected cards and it was so cool to have one place to go to and get whatever I wanted or could afford on my kid allowance! For whatever reason the one set that I really took to was the 1960 Topps baseball set with it's horizontal design and vibrant colors they just looked so cool and loaded with stars, Mantle, Maris, Mays, Musial, Clemente, Aaron,...they were all there! I ended up helping the owner and he would pay me in baseball cards or told me to pick out what I liked. Being a Cub fan I picked out a bunch of Cubs now I wonder what if I had been a Yankee fan? He had boxes of 60 Topps card all in numerical order and I remember how new they looked, glossy, that nice little card bend, just great looking cards. I was a card grader before their was such a thing as I picked out the best conditioned cards. Fast forward to today and I am on my quest to finish the 60 set but in doing so it brings back a lot of memories and takes me back to my youth!