View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Patrick N.

Default Having it Both Ways (Dealer Gripe)

Had an interesting encounter with a dealer recently at a local card show. Let me say first and foremost, I am not "anti-dealer" as there are a lot of GREAT guys out there that are trying to supplement their income and have many barriers to jump over in order to make a few extra bucks....

That said, dishonest or unnecessarily aggressive sales tactics don't justify bad behavior. The dealer I met at a small local show was determined to ask me what I collected and what I was expecting in terms of price. After picking out a few short print cards, he decided that they were "short prints" and the book price didn't apply (some truth to that). He was determined to price the cards HIGHER than book price... I balked, doesn't book price reflect the short print aspect of that card? Or are they unaware? LOL

Yet, when I wanted to buy run of the mill '72 ex cards he was steadfast on wanting 50% of book, in this case, book is the bible. When I told him, well according to book EX cards in this era would be 20-40% in EX, he acted like I was a lying Lucifer. I told him I would sell him EX '72 Highs at $5 a piece all day long he seemed to be shocked.

At one point, he pointed to a long row of random commons 60s listed at $1.00/ea and said if I bought 20+ he would sell them at .50/pc. Problem was most of the cards were lower grade and .10-.25 ea. ones. I told him this and he said he hadn't looked at them closely., etc. In short, he later came back when I was at another table and conceded he was full of s**t on the dollar cards and that I was right....

My point of this thread is that if you are going to live by the sword (book price) than you need to die by it too... If you don't, you look like a douche, at least to me anyway

Last edited by mintacular; 03-12-2017 at 06:40 PM.