Thread: In the news.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Well, things like NFTs and Pokemon cards are a fad, bound to crash. The economy is actually doing quite well. While that trinket stuff tanks, I don't see Ruth, Cobb, Foxx and Gehrig going anywhere except maybe further up.
I am going to play devil's advocate about Pokemon (which I don't collect). I don't think Pokemon is a fad, like Beanie Babies was a fad. The subsection of card collectors that focus more on artistic mediums like Magic, Pokemon, comics, anime are just as likely to buy them due to nostalgia. In the 2020 runup, nostalgia drove the vintage card years 1980 - 2004. Jeter, Griffey, Chipper Jones, and other 90s HOF'ers were purchased by millenials who now had cash to buy cards they couldn't afford as kids. It has been, and will continue to be, the same with collectors of Pokemon and Magic. As millenials age and become more secure financially, I would predict that not only will late 1990s sports cards continue to rise in value (long term), but so will Pokemon and Magic. Millenials will drive the 1990s collectibles market just like Boomers drove the 1950s market.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-19-2024 at 11:56 AM.