Thread: In the news.
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 11:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't think Pokemon has the strong staying power of baseball. Collect what you enjoy and, if it goes down in value, you can still enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
I think you missed my point about skew. Apple is 10% of the nasdaq100. Mag7 is 40% of ndx market cap. So the performance of those stocks drive the index and perception of the health of the market far more than what is really happening underneath in the overall market. So the next time you hear bear market, it’s more likely just mean reversion to the mag7. Russell 2000 is small cap but is more indicative of all sectors, not just tech.

But back to cards as I don’t know anything about the stock market... The site below is interesting.

https://www.cardladder.com/indexes

I haven’t looked into the constituents nor its performance calculations deeply. But while all have been soft, sports cards, particularly vintage cards, have held up fairly well. Yet pokemon shows down 40%. Truth be told, that number looks suspects if you look at the 3 month graph, but still shows Pokémon is an outlier and negative attribution to the collectible trading card market.

So to use Pokémon and nft’s as an indication of a crash in trading cards is not a fair.